fot

Re: [Fot] Lucas break in oil

To: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler1947@yahoo.com>, Brian Schirano <bschirano@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lucas break in oil
From: Tony Drews via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 22:55:45 -0500
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

2nd for VR1.&nbsp; I use the non-synthetic version for (piston ring)
break in (one race weeked), then switch to the synthetic version.&nbsp; I
also add 4 oz of GM's EOS for a bit more ZDDP.&nbsp; Bearings typically
look almost brand new on my annual rebuild, and the cam stuff seems to be
OK too.&nbsp; I've got some good loads on the valvetrain.<br><br>
Seems to be about half the price of the other high quality oils (Brad
Penn, Redline, etc.)<br><br>
Cheers, Tony Drews<br><br>
At 08:17 AM 4/12/2015, Jack Wheeler via Fot wrote:<br>
is
thread, so this may be duplication.&nbsp; When the major oil brands
lowered the ZDDP content in their oils, Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil,
continued to have ZDDP, but I am not sure whether the amount (%) of ZDDP
changed or not.&nbsp; Valvoline advertises this oil as containing ZDDP
and recommends it for flat tappet engines.&nbsp; Therefore, I have
continued to use Valvoline Racing Oil in all of my flat tappet
cars.&nbsp; I also used this same oil in my race car for 24 years and
have never had an oil related failure in either the race car or my street
cars.&nbsp; My comments apply to break in oils as well as normal running
oil.&nbsp; I just use a lighter weight for breaking in a street
engine.&nbsp; No break-in required on race engines.<br><br>
Jack<br><br>
&lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;<br>
<b>To:</b> Bill Dentinger &lt;BillDentin@aol.com&gt;; Duncan Charlton
&lt;duncan.charlton54@gmail.com&gt; <br>
Interesting, I was recently getting opinions on Rotella locally, as I've
heard from a couple of guys they run it in this and that HP motors on a
regular basis (non Vintage guys), not just breakin. I sent a note to
Shell and they say =E2=80=9CT6 5W-40 has approximately 1280 parts per millio=
of ZDDP=E2=80=9D.&nbsp; This is about the same as the Mobil One I run. That
said a local detractor said it has too much detergent in his
opinion.<br><br>
SOoooo =96 that=E2=80=99s all I can say, no firsthand experience, but am
considering running it. I like the discussion, and BTW the Rotella isn't
particularly cheap, have to watch em, it's a 4 qt jug vs most others are
5 qt.<br><br>
Thanks<br>
Brian<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Brian Schirano<br>
585-305-0349 Cell <br>
BSchirano@yahoo.com<br><br>
&lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;<br>
<b>Cc:</b> &quot;fot@autox.team.net&quot; &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;
I don't have an ax to grind with Lucas Oil products, but I sure do
endorse Shell Rotella as a race engine break-in oil.&nbsp; I always used
it exclusively in the diesel engine in my tow vehicle, and we used it to
break in race engines as well.<br><br>
Bill Dentinger<br>
&nbsp; <br><br>
Sent from my iPad<br><br>
&gt; On Apr 11, 2015, at 6:35 PM, Duncan Charlton via Fot
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I am likewise a distrustful of Lucas oil.&nbsp; The gear lube
display often seen on the counter at auto parts stores demonstrates the
climbing effect of their lube and they claim this makes it better than
conventional gear lubricants, however, an experimental demonstration
posted on the bobistheoilguy website revealed that the lube picked up a
large mount of air compared to 'regular' gear lube.&nbsp; It makes me
distrust their other products.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I've used high quality assembly lube, broken in the cam properly,
and then did break in miles with Rotella.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Duncan<br>
&gt; (Texas)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; On 4/11/15 5:58 PM, Glenn Franco via Fot wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; I don't subscribe to the Lucas aura. The lubrication additives I
have found end up in the pan and have the consistency of hard Jello. I
called Lucas and they couldn't put me in contact with an engineer that
could explain why their products do this.<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; When I build an engine with a new cam and lifters I use Shell
Rotella 15w40 exclusively.<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; I have used their (Lucas) assembly lube (sticky slimey stuff)
with no issues however.<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; On 4/11/2015 6:01 PM, Greg And Alison Blake via Fot
wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Has anyone used the Lucas break in oil? I've used joe Gibbs
in the past but the price advantage of the Lucas is about 3:1.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Thanks<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <br>