fot

Re: [Fot] Towing (New F-150)

To: Bob Kramer <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Towing (New F-150)
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 20:23:03 -0400
Cc: "<fot@autox.team.net>" <fot@autox.team.net>, Jeff Snook <jeffsnook01@gmail.com>
I borrowed Bob Kramerâ??s 28â??  trailer to retrieve a race car and several
thousand pounds of spares from Wisconsin about a year ago.  I pulled the
trailer, loaded to around 7000 lbs, with my 2007 Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 liter
gasoline engine.  The chassis, transmission and engine are fully up to it
(itâ??s rated at 10,500 but I would rather not haul that heavy a tow load in a
truck with an empty weight of 5700 lbs).  I probably averaged a highway speed
to 60 mph or so (I drove from Texas to Wisconsin and back) and got 10.5 mpg;
typical non-towing mileage on 87 octane (rm+mm/2) gasoline is around 17 mpg, no
doubt allowed by the lack of extensive stop and go driving in the area around
our rural home.

My new enclosed trailer (should arrive in the next two weeks) is a v-nose 18â??
Aluma car hauler with an 8-1/2â?? width.  Empty weight is 2760 lbs. (they make
a 24â?? enclose V-nose trailer with an empty weight of 3300 lbs).  Loaded up
with the NSU or the Morgan 4/4 plus tools, etc. I will easily keep my maximum
trailer weight under 5000 lbs so I can tow it with my Mercedes Sprinter
van-based Itasca motorhome.  Weâ??re now on the return leg of our first trip in
the motorhome right now, in the mountains of North Carolina.  (We stopped at
VIR this morning since weâ??d never seen the track â?? and a fine-looking track
it is.  We had stopped to gawk at Watkins Glen last Saturday, moving on to the
vintage GP at Schenley Park in Pittsburgh last Sunday. I hope to see the Barber
museum and track in Alabama tomorrow.)

We havenâ??t towed with the motorhome yet but the 3.0 liter turbodiesel has
plenty of torque.  There is a guy at our campground hauling a Smart Car with an
identical rig so Iâ??ll ask him how it pulls and what kind of fuel consumption
he is getting.  Non-towing fuel mileage for the 3200 miles weâ??ve traveled so
far is 14.7 mpg at 65 mph but I think it will improve as the terrain flattens
out as we approach central Texas.

A few years ago I bought a 5â??-8" X 12â?? Aluma all-aluminum flatbed trailer
which weighs 560-580 lbs.  I hauled the Morgan and the NSU 1200TT sedan with it
on separate occasions behind my 2008 BMW 328i wagon with no issues.

Duncan
(Texas)