fot

[Fot] Fwd: Crown and pinion gear break in

Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Crown and pinion gear break in
From: britcars at bellsouth.net (barry rosenberg)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 09:58:21 +0000 (UTC)
References: <7FAC951C-9CE7-49E5-8DCA-37BDD2E7B8E6@icloud.com> <1425223651.1077147502.1536137279966.JavaMail.zimbra@telenet.be> <1518278895.1077153139.1536137336417.JavaMail.zimbra@telenet.be> <C32F1C79-7520-43DA-8280-01E2EAB5C50A@ponostyle.com> <2031959496.408884.1536237686897@mail.yahoo.com> <AE6D512D-2CF2-42AB-BA52-9B1F9F5065C3@icloud.com> <520565677.1085482.1536327452002@mail.yahoo.com> <CABFvdWsbXWYtGnNyspFni8QcX78LjRtr+iKcLy1Ypv7f0QaYkQ@mail.gmail.com> <102B5B39-2FE9-47F3-9924-9EEBC05F08EC@icloud.com> <CAMJWJcEPp_fRgonGoDVaS-BOBA_iXuuRuchyTum1eqBRjHBFeQ@mail.gmail.com> <1149127785.1972619.1536528479495@mail.yahoo.com> <CAMJWJcGpeLhzjpfYP1tUeKz4MBDSVZMRWCnbigB9SYy_WaTzgA@mail.gmail.com>
The tool has several parts. One is a temporary replacement for the pinion gear
and the other sits in the bearing saddles of the carrier. Both the carrier and
pinion are removed to use the tool. You insert the replacement pinion, sit the
other part in the saddles and with the attached dial gauge, you measure the
depth of the tool. There is a lot more that goes into it but you may get the
idea of how it works. Sets the depth perfect every time and then all you have
to do is set the backlash and check for wear pattern with paint or Dykem Blue.
Got the tool when I bought an old British car junk yard. Also have a special
tool to set valve lash within .0005" using a dial gauge set-up. Not sure if
they need to be that accurate for our old cars.
Barry