Re: Palm Pilot choices?

To: Phil Esra <mfkab@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Palm Pilot choices?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:24:52 -0500
Phil Esra wrote:
> We were using a borrowed palm pilot that we may not always have access
> to, so I'm thinking about buying one. Since I'm not really into personal
> organization, it would be a dedicated autox tool, and I'd like to spend
> as little as possible.
>
> Are they robust enough to safely buy a used one? What models are
> suitable?  Anyone have a used one they want to sell?

You can safely buy a used one.  I would strongly recommend buying a IIIe
or a IIIe Special Edition (with a cool translucent case).  List price on
these is $149 as of last week; street prices are just now coming down as
well.

You can probably find an older used Palm, but I wouldn't recommend it --
the screen on the IIIe and other recent Palms is *vastly* superior, and
worth every penny.  If you still insist on buying something older, buy
a III, and don't pay more than, say, $75 for it.

Other acceptable choices are the IIIx and IIIxe.  These have more memory
and are more expandable than the IIIe, but you won't need it.  The Palm
series is less robust than the III series.  And the old PalmPilot series
is getting less software support these days; the original Pilots are
pretty much not worth having anymore.

Mark