Re: Geez settings for a CS Mr-2 on Kumhos

To: Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Geez settings for a CS Mr-2 on Kumhos
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:55:31 -0700
I've begun moving my autostart and autostop variables around
quite a bit.  Lately I use 0.45g for autostart, and 0.10g @
3 seconds for autostop.  And I like to set the minimum run
to the time I expect to run on the course.

The 0.45g autostart will always trigger if I spin the
tires.  Most RWD cars spin the tires at around .6-.8 forward
accel.

I've learned that using 0.10g @ 3 seconds for autostop will
usually allow the program to shut off while I idle back to
my grid spot.  The factory defaults of 0.05 and 5 seconds
require you to sit still on level ground and wait.  But at
0.10 and 3 seconds it will usually shut off just on a slow
idle back to the grid space.

The minimum run duration will save you a lot of little
"false runs".  By setting it to the length of the course you
are running you can be sure that the software will discard
any mini-runs that it gets as you leave the grid and go to
the starting line, etc.  And don't worry that it will throw
away your run if you beat your projected time by a second or
so.  Remember that the AutoStart loop holds the 5 seconds
prior to when you cracked the AutoStart threshold.  And then
there's also a second or two between when you begin
accelerating and the timing lights.  Likewise at the finish,
you have 2 or 3 seconds before you get slowed down after the
timing lights, and then the 3 seconds in the AutoStop loop.
When you add up all of those little snippets of time, a 60
second run will usually be recorded as a 70-72 second
recording.  So you'd have to beat your expected time by 10
seconds or so before you'd risk losing the run.

The one downside to this is if you spin on course, and sit
still long enough for the AutoStop to take effect.  Chances
are good that the first part of the course will be lost as
the autostart will start over when you resume your run.
This is exactly the situation that happened with Yvonne at
Nats...she spun about 10 seconds into the run, and the
software discarded those first 10 seconds.  The rest of the
run was saved, however.

--Byron