RE: You be the judge Photos (Transmission questions)

To: "'Tracy Drummond'" <bighealey@charter.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: You be the judge Photos (Transmission questions)
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:58:08 -0400
Hi Tracy,

Despite the poor assembly by the P.O. (or his local tranny shop more
likely) you are in pretty good shape. I suspect that something was wrong
with the positioning of the selectors or how they were secured to the
selector rods which caused the loss of the detent balls and springs. If
you assemble the box correctly you should resolve that. The bell housing
and overdrive adaptor have little pads in them where the ends of the
selector rod touch which limit the travel of the rods, these were
probably missing. Also if the Bellville washers and spacer shims were
missing around the main bearings things can go a bit pear shaped.

IMHO none of your gear damage is bad enough to condemn those parts
unless you have lots of money to burn. The running faces all look to be
in good condition despite the chips which are relatively minor.

I'm glad the person who did the lock wiring doesn't work on any aircraft
that I might be flying (or perhaps he does!!).

I don't think what you have identified as wear on the selector is
actually wear. As I recall they were made that way to provide sufficient
clearance.

The wear on the synchro ring is almost certainly due to the same thing
that caused the detent balls to drop out.

That detent ball is meant to be hiding between the selector rails (it is
the interlock system to prevent you going into 2 gears at the same
time). There should be a ball between each of the rods and a little
plunger in the center rod which shuttles back and forth.

There is something wrong with your photo entitled..

"Theres a hidden problem. The three detent springs and balls for 3rd and
4th wre in the bottom of the case!!"

I think you have the 1 / 2 gear assembly on backwards. Don't put it
together that way!!

Also, interestingly the axial alignment of the gears in the photo .

"Laygear (Had new layshaft and roller bearings :-)"

Does not look good. Either you didn't have the main shafts pushed all
the way in or the main bearing shins and washers are incorrect.

There is almost no wear on the selector forks where the selector lever
engages, indicating that this box has had very little use

New gaskets and seals, a circlip and some roller needles, at least one
synchro ring (check the three ears on the other two for wear), probably
bearing shims and Belleville washer(s), 5 - 6 hours work and you will
easily make it to Mt Hamilton.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com