Re: wire wheels -- how many spokes?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheels -- how many spokes?
From: "Robert Poague" <rapoague@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:02:05 -0700
The British Wire Wheels website includes this statement:

"Most Dunlop chrome wheels have chrome-plated stainless steel spokes and
nipples. All DAYTON chrome wheels have polished stainless steel spokes and
chrome nipples."

My understanding is that the chrome plating process applied to regular steel
spokes causes "hydrogen embrittlement", resulting in spokes that break more
easily than painted spokes. Would the same concept apply to chrome plating
stainless steel? And why would it be desirable to chrome plate stainless
steel spokes? Cheaper than polishing?

Bob