Re: wire wheels -- how many spokes?

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheels -- how many spokes?
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:45:52 -0600
Bob,

Only reason I can think of is that stainless on stainless tends to gall
& seize easily, even when lubed with anti seize compound..

You must drive pretty hard for them to need tuning or have some really
rough roads. The tune on my new Daytons has not changed in two years of
driving. I had some stock 48 spoke Dunlops that did not change tune
appreciably in ten years & 40,000 miles. I don't even own a spoke wrench.

I personally think that some folks are overly concerned about spoke
tuning & fiddle too much. My opinion only. Not saying you are wrong,
just different experiences. The 60 spoke wheels have two distinctly
different ping sounds due to the different lengths & cross one - cross
two lacing arrangement.