Ammeters

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ammeters
From: "Harlan Polk" <happolk@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:11:22 -0700
Randolf,

There is legitimate concern about bringing the entire ampere load into the
cockpit so it may pass through an internal shunt ammeter or pass by an
induction sensing ammeter. An ammeter is a voltage meter with a shunt. The
shunt can be external leaving a 50 Millivolt residual to be sensed by the
ammeter. The wires to the ammeter may then be 22 gauge. The ammeter must be
suitable for use with a 50 m.v. shunt. See
http://www.bandc.biz/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?15X358218 for an
example shunt. I have not tested a Smiths ammeter, but I would not be
surprised that if the movement turned out to be a 50 m.v. movement once the
internal shunt was removed. Perhaps another lister may check? Hap '100 M