Re: Question on Rear Tail Lights

To: tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Question on Rear Tail Lights
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:04:24 -0600
Tom,

The halogen bulb draws about twice the current of the original bulb. It
certainly could overload the brake light switch.
Commonly used bulb  #1157 - 8.3w - 27w
Halogen bulb   #H1157 - 15w - 50w

You must have had better luck with the halogen bulbs than I did. I guess
some folks like them a lot.

I tried the #H1157. (15 - 50w) It wasn't successful for me - A whole lot
of heat & on the turn signal portion the bulb filament stays hot so long
that the light doesn't completely go out between cycles so is hard to
tell that it is blinking. Also the turn signal flasher was so slow that
it was almost useless. The extra heat was not such a problem with my
glass lenses, although I was hesitant to keep the brake on too long, but
it might melt plastic lenses.

Dave Russell
BN2