Re: Console trim

To: "Ph. J. Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Subject: Re: Console trim
From: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:07:21 +0100
In message <408EB93F.4090001@tiscali.nl>, Ph.J.Aeckerlin
<j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl> writes
>Listers,
>I'm reconstructing the console of my BJ8 - the part where the
>loudspeaker grille and the radio have been is more holes than material.
>I noticed that on the 'horizontal' parts (where the ashtray is) the
>leathercloth was glued directly onto the metal (or what's left of
>that), whereas on the sides I found a thin remainder of foam plastic ,
>on top of which the leathercloth was glued.
>Is the use of foam plastic,  giving the outside a softer feel, standard
>or was this one of the many customizing initiatives the P.O. apparently
>applied? If standard, was it only on the sides or also on the top?
>Thanks in advance
>Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
>1964 BJ8 29432
>1974 BMW 75/6

I believe what you have is standard for the BJ8. At least, that's how
mine was when I came to restore it. And, yes, it was used only in some
areas as you describe.

I didn't make too good a job of mine. I used the foam and solvent-based
adhesive that I bought from AH Spares. However, I'm not sure whether the
foam agrees with the adhesive. I used the adhesive to stick the foam to
the metal, and then more adhesive to attach the vinyl to the foam.
Perhaps that was my mistake. The foam lost its bounce - when pressed
through the vinyl it felt (and deformed) a bit more like putty rather
than rubber. Not sure if the foam was in any way dissolved by the
adhesive, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Perhaps another Lister has successfully done this job. Which adhesive?
And was adhesive used between the foam and vinyl, or just between foam
and metal? I might re-do mine, if I can be sure of making a better job
of it next time!

--
Alan F Cross