Console trim

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Console trim
From: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:49:19 +0200
Listers,
I'm reconstructing the console of my BJ8 - the part where the
loudspeaker grille and the radio have been is more holes than material.
I noticed that on the 'horizontal' parts (where the ashtray is) the
leathercloth was glued directly onto the metal (or what's left of that),
whereas on the sides I found a thin remainder of foam plastic , on top
of which the leathercloth was glued.
Is the use of foam plastic,  giving the outside a softer feel, standard
or was this one of the many customizing initiatives the P.O. apparently
applied? If standard, was it only on the sides or also on the top?
Thanks in advance
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432
1974 BMW 75/6