Left Rear Bearing Problems - BJ7

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Left Rear Bearing Problems - BJ7
From: "Big Sixer" <healey@ledwith.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 13:45:08 -0400
Getting in some maiden voyage mileage to indentify the problems. Came up with
another one.  My rear bearing is spinning in the hub - the outside portion of
the bearing is turning.  I think this led to the seal breaking because my
brake shoes and drum were full of oil. This is a new bearing and in great
shape.

Possible cause was that the large nut holding the bearing / hub assembly
wasn't tightened enough, with approx 1/8" slop. Also, the axle might not have
been fitted as tightly as it should (with the 1/4"phillips screws). That might
have caused the metal ring between the axle and the bearing not to snug the
outer bearing race to the hub.

Car was put on the road before proper tightening was ensured. DCO (dumb
current owner).

First Question:  Is there any way to get the bearing to sit more snugly in the
hub? Would firmly tightening up the screws holding the axle be the solution?
Is there a seating agent I can add that will 'lock' the bearing in place? Or
is the hub just worn and needs to be replaced (read that as I'm screwed).

Second quesiton: Can I clean up the brake shoes and re-use them? They have 50
miles on them and only a few weeks maximum of oil saturation. I'm not cheap,
but not ready to thow away money if I can avoid it.

Don't bother yelling at me for not tightening up all the fittings. I've
already done that. I won't bore you with the problems caused by not tightening
all the nuts holding the spline to the brake drum. - let's just say disaster
narrowly averted.

Ryan
BJ7
Spring in CT