Re: RE: Thermostat Selection in Hot climates

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: Thermostat Selection in Hot climates
From: sbyers <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:34:52 -0700 (PDT)
After fighting "high engine temps" in my BJ8 for years by installing a new
radiator, radiator shroud, Texas Kooler, coolant overflow system, 160-degree
thermostat, de-gunking the cooling passages during the engine rebuild, and
using pure water and all grades and quantities of Water Wetter, I finally
checked the calibration of my temp gauge (the gauge had been professionally
rebuilt some years ago, and so its cal wasn't suspected).  I found it to be
reading about 15-20 degrees high.  After re-calibration of the gauge, the
car now runs too cool (160-175) in the winters, and around 190-195 in the
summers.  It can even handle summer stop and go traffic as long as it isn't
for too long.

The car still has a 160-deg. thermostat, and I will change it to 180-deg. as
soon as convenient.  A thermostat will control engine coolant temps only
until it reaches full open.  After that a 160 and 180 are the same.  If I
had a 180, the summer upper engine temps would be the same, but the 180
would stay partially closed in the winter, thus raising the lower
temperature compared to the wide-open 160.

My recommendation, then, would be to check the accuracy of the temp gauge
before doing much else.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry