Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:10:00 -0400
I don't know the answer to current rotors, but having caused a rotor to fail
on an almost new BJ8 back in '65 by just removing and replacing it (limped
home on a spare rotor from a buddy's Nash Metropolitan), I'd suggest a couple
of things you might want to try.

First, if the edge of the shaft that the rotor fits onto is sharp, break it
(remove the sharp edge) just slightly, so it is not able to score the rotor
plastic and cause stress risers that could lead to a crack.

Next, while it's comforting for the rotor to be a firm press fit on the shaft,
that's just a stress crack waiting to happen, so you might experimentally
arrange -- perhaps by some combination of trying various rotors or relieving
the shaft itself -- for it to be an easier slip fit, and see if that improves
rotor life.

Just FWIW, the crack in my failed rotor was invisible to the eye.  I expect
that it went from the very end of the rotor hole to the brass.

Of course, one probably impractical but permanent solution would be to arrange
for the rotor shaft not to be grounded.  I'm sure that's technically possible
with modern materials.

Patton, please keep us posted!
--
John Miller

I didn't believe in reincarnation in any of my other lives.  I don't see why
I should have to believe in it in this one.
                -Strange de Jim