Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!

To: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!
From: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:21:28 +0100
In message <000001c450b1$891e6300$7c02a8c0@patton>, Patton Dickson
<kpdii@earthlink.net> writes
>Hi guys,
>
>Today, I was going to drive the car to a Gulf Coast Healey Club meeting
>for the first time.  I live about as far out as you can live in the
>suburbs of Houston so I the trip was 25 miles each way.
>
>I thought that I had the car prepared fine for the trip, but a problem
>reoccurred that I just addressed.  After 21 miles of great running, the
>car sputtered, went about a mile further, and died.  I was able to
>coast to a side road and a very nice guy let me park the car in his
>driveway and actually drove me the couple of miles left to the meeting.

I had a batch of three go in a few hundred miles - all from different
shops, but probably out of the same overseas factory. Then fitted a
Lucas NOS part, and have been happy ever since (though admittedly no big
mileage since).

I found a good way to determine, without tools, if the rotor is cracked.
As soon as you can after the thing dies, tale out the rotor, turn it
upside down and SMELL it! If it smells of burning plastic, you can be
sure it's arcing through a crack, even if you can't see any damage.

Regards
--
Alan F Cross