Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!

To: Bob Brown <BlkBT7@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!
From: John Luttenberger <johnl@golden.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:55:17 -0400
I just realized that I didn't edit the last reply so if this comes
through twice, my apologies . Also another thought that crossed my mind
afterwards is that the original parts were made of bakelite, which has a
very high dielectric capability.  The replacements are I believe some
sort of plastic, which may not have the same capabilities .
Regards

One possible cause short of breakage  would be excess KV ( kilovolt)
demand. . For a little history, in the 50 s and 60s when these cars were
built and designed an ignition system in proper order had a peak kv
availability in the 22-24 kv range . A modern system and coil   is
capable of in excess of 60 kv.  When available voltages were low any
faults, such as high resistance wires, large plug gaps, excess cap to
rotor clearance , lean mixture etc. became immediately apparent in a
poorly running vehicle.  What may well be happening here is that with
modern coils installed  and more voltage available  they are masking
other faults and the kv demands of the system  are exceeding the
dielectric capabilities of the 50s design rotor . Modern fuels may also
be a contributing factor to kv demand . To put that into perspective in
the 80s  GM was using a wide plug gap on  some of their vehicles, in the
.060 to .080 range, which the ignition system was quite capable of
firing . Rotor burn through was also a common problem . The fix was to
reduce the plug gap to .040.  If someone could  reinstall one of these
rotors and see if spark is available  at the coil wire but not at the
plugs  it would  verify that in fact rotor burn through has occurred .
It isn't always apparent and visible.

In a similar vein  part of kv demand  is the rotor to cap gaps , it is
possible that on some rotors  the gaps are too high and causing the same
problem., or a wrong shorter 4 cylinder rotor is being used .   Of
course it's also a possibility that they are a bunch of cheap Chinese
crap made out of recycled  plastic kiddy toys too .

HTH

Regards
John