Poor idle when hot, conclusion

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Poor idle when hot, conclusion
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 04:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
List,

Taking the advice of those who responded to my request for help, I
re-examined the carbs.  Like many, I suffer from the Infallibility
Syndrome.  This is the belief that the part of the car I just worked
cannot possibly be the problem because, after all, I just fixed it!.
Well, as I have proven to myself many times over, the part of the car
I just worked on is actual the MOST likely the problem.

After verifying that the float levels were correctly set, I pulled the
pistons out of the carbs.  Seems that I installed the needles ever so
slightly recessed into the piston.  On previous rebuilds of other SU
carbs, I found it best to err on the side of having them too far in.
This worked well back in foothills surrounding Seattle.  However, here
in south Florida at 5' above sea level and temps in the 90's, it
doesn't work so well.  Re-set the needles so they were flush, or if
anything proud of the pistons, re-assembled and adjusted, and now all
is right with the world.

Thanks to all.  This is a great list and these are great cars.  It is
also a great day outside so I think I'll go for a drive!

See ya on the road,
John
'59 BN7