Re: Poor idle when hot, conclusion

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Poor idle when hot, conclusion
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
Good advice Brent, though the ruler would need to have a very sharp edge as the
shoulder on these particular needles was very small.  The car runs great now so
I will leave well enough alone, but I will file this one away for future
reference.

John
'59 BN7

P. S.  What is that Smokey and the Bandit Special doing in an otherwise fine
collection of British iron?  : )

ah1960bt7@att.net wrote:
John, having rebuilt many sets of SU carbs, I have a "fool proof" way to set
the needles in the pistons. Insert the needle into the piston, leaving the
shoulder outside or proud of the flat part of the piston. Take up the slack in
the locating screw, but don't tighten. Now with a small steel 6" ruler, place
it on the needle against the flat and push toward the piston. It will only go
in until flush because the ruler is much wider than the needle. Don't forget to
then tighten the set screw. I hope this helps.

Brent Porter
Central Indiana

'60 BT7
'69 Sprite