Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!

To: "Eric Wilkins (Rick)" <wilko2@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:35:43 -0700
Patton:

I agree with Rick - the 'green box' rotor that you were sent is for another
Lucas distributor - it's way to short.  Looks suspiciously like the ones I
used to use in my MGB distributor, but I can't tell for sure.

The ones that you got from the UK are the counterbalanced style - lots of
the aftermarket style rotors were of this type over the years.  Some people
prefer this style - nothing wrong with them, other than the fact that
certain electronic ignitions designed for the Healey distributors won't work
with them - not enough vertical clearance between the rotors counterweighted
end and the ignition module.

I've stayed with the 'green box' rotors - they seem to fit onto the
distributor shaft a bit better - this may be due to the function of the
little 'springy thingy.'  One thing to watch for the rotor should not be too
tight ie; too hard to slip onto the shaft.  This will likely cause a slight
crack in the bakelite - the engine will run for an indeterminate amount of
time, but the rotor will ground and fail sooner or later.

Good investigation though!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb