RE: Starting nut removal

To: "Don Anglesey" <Don@anglesey.us>
Subject: RE: Starting nut removal
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@infoasis.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:19:59 -0700
Don,

Be sure to put a new lock tab on when you replace the nut. I put an old one
on, the tab broke, and the nut spun itself off.

And now the rest of the story for those that are interested.

Funny in retrospect though as I was driving down a hill on a newly rebuilt
engine and I heard a clunk followed by a soft rapid clicking sound.
Puzzeled, I immediately pushed the clutch down, shut the engine off and
coasted into a parking lot and stopped in an empty spot. I then looked
forward and watched a river of antifreeze flow forward like a spring of
water from a hillside. Dumbfounded, I opened the bonnet and noticed that
the fan was bent and had gouged the radiator. Baffeled, I then saw that the
nut was gone; spun off then knocked the bend in only one of the fan blades
which punctured the radiator. Luckelly (relative term) the nut was knocked
into a nook in the right part of the frame. The offending washer was still
there too.

John
'62 BT7