RE: Healey Audio

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Healey Audio
From: "Neal Grotenhuis" <grotenhuis@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:33:12 -0400
Sounds like an interesting project.  I would definately switch polarity
first.  I also have a BT7, and 20 years ago built a leather covered wooden
box to hold the tape deck under the heater.  I fried 2 amplifiers before I
figured out radios were very sensitive to vehicle polarity.  I then isolated
everything the best I could.  This worked for a week or so, then metal
touched metal, and I welded another amp to what ever it touched.

I have since switched to neg. ground, and installed the stock radio out of
my brother's Durango, and have this wired to 2 cheap RadioShack box speakers
that rest in the door pockets.  Back in the day, I made panels that covered
the door opening, and put 6X9s in them.  Sounded great, but a lot of work,
and I want a more stock look now.  Plan on switching to suppressor-type plug
wires if you haven't already.

What I really want, is a way to plug my walk-man type headphones into a car
stereo.  That would eliminate the speaker placement problem, and would allow
me to actually hear the radio.  A buddy did this in his BJ7, so I'll have to
ask him how he wired it, since the output voltage is much smaller to
headphones than to speakers.  Most of the time the exhaust note is enough,
but I do like the radio once in a while.

Neal G.