Fw: MORE About Holes in Wings

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: MORE About Holes in Wings
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:29:12 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: davidwjones
To: linwood rose ; C Rich ; Editorgary@aol.com
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: MORE About Holes in Wings

I don't think there's ever a reason for being sorry that a point of concours
detail is brought to light. I'm glad that it was brought up, because I had
assumed I knew what the deal was. -It turns out to be apparently, an
undocumented mystery possibly as to the purpose, but certainly to the years
and models that had the feature. Left side, both sides, original spears,
replacement spears, tricarbs only, BT7s only, all cars 59 to 62, random cars
within the run, mixed and matched fenders, mixed and matched
spears....????????   It would be good to know.
It is these kinds of quirky engineering details that I find fascinating in
these, and other old cars. Maybe we can add this to the list of other
quasi-functional engineering features that give our cars unique character.
-Things like: triple carbs, dash mounted overdrive switches, cold air boxes,
separate starter switches, ornamental windshield wipers, side curtains, parcel
shelves, rear "seating", tiny boots, SU fuel pumps, and appearance-only heater
and de-mister vents.... and more. I would find it completely consistent that
these were added as vents on some models.
What surprises me is that after all of these years of ownership, restoration,
documentation, and research, we are still discovering (rediscovering?) things
like this, and (hopefully) adding them to the documentation.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA