Re: Welders (Healey Restoration Tools/Not Healey Specific)

To: <HealeyBN7@aol.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Welders (Healey Restoration Tools/Not Healey Specific)
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 08:25:24 -0800
Dave,

I bought my dad the (ubiquitous) Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 a few years ago.
Even w/o gas (we have the kit but haven't used it) this is a very good
machine.  It takes a bit of practice, and the "trick" is to get the power
setting and wire feed rates correct.  I suspect a lot of people start with
too high a power setting and just burn through the metal, especially sheet.

One thing you'll definitely want is a good, auto-darkening helmet/mask.  Dad
had trouble using the welder until he got one of these ... you have to be able
postition the wire tip properly before you pull the trigger, then you need to
be able to watch the weld.  The auto-darkening makes all the difference.

I have no personal issues with Eastwood, and they sell stuff that is otherwise
unobtainable, but I wouldn't buy that welder from them.  The Weld-Pak was
less than $300 at Costco, and I've seen them elsewhere for this price.  As
an example, Eastwood sells 4 butt-weld clamps for $29.99 ... you can get
a pack of eight for $5 from Harbor Freight.

bs