Welders

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Welders
From: Jackson Krall <jackson_krall@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:48:31 -0800 (PST)
I meant to enter the fray a few weeks ago when this
was the topic, but...so here are my thoughts now.
I've been oxy/acct welding for over 25 yrs., mostly
sheet metal, automotive and non-automotive, mostly
non. Lots of it.
 In the 80's I bought a classic Lincoln 225 amp
"buzzbox" arc welder. Still have it, still works great
for heavier fabrication and repair.
 Around 1990, when the little "pocket mig" welders
were fairly new to the market, I bought one, from a
mail-order "Hydraulics" Co. It was an imported model
made in a country shaped like a boot. It fell apart
after a couple of yrs. The other annoying thing about
this unit was that it was rated at 120v. I found that
available voltage can differ from location to
location, sometimes significantly, and to a point
where that 120v. machine could not produce a
satisfactory weld.
 Subsequently, I had the opportunity to use one of the
little Lincoln mig welders that were discussed on
list. The Lincoln was far superior in all respects and
the lower voltage rating, (110 or 115?), made it
possible to use it where you couldn't with 120v unit.
I never bought another mig after that 120v unit.
Instead, I have stayed with the oxy/acct. I have been
using the low pressure Henrob torch and am very
satisfied. Total portability, low distortion, low
pressure means small tanks last longer, heat for
busting rust and bending/forming/cutting. I think this
is the way to go.
Any kind of welding requires hands on experience to be
good at it. Oxy/acct is no more difficult to learn
than mig or arc.
 Best Regards To All For The Holidays
JK
NYC