Re: laser level method for doing toe in

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: laser level method for doing toe in
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:52:42 -0600
I am at a total loss here guys.... Why are you using a laser to set your toe
in?

Are you guys going so fast you need it to be set to within a thousandth?

Let me try this again....  tape a string to the back wheel.... about mid way
up on the rear of the tire....... take the other end of the string to a jack
stand in front of the car....  Repeat this on both sides....  then take the
jackstand and move it until the string just touch's the tire on the front
side of the rear tire, that gives you your first line....  again I normally
set one wheel dead straight with the string.... then you do the same on the
other side and measure the distance to the rim on the front tire.... the
difference in the front and back of the rim equals your toe in if your other
wheel is straight.....

This procedure also allows you to check if your rear end is square in the
car left or right... and a bit of playing with the panhard rod will take
care of that....

Remember that you have to do ANY toe in adjustment with the weight on the
tires... otherwise your absolutely going to have it wrong... or at least not
correct...

I don't ask you to trust me often.... but I use this technique to got
relatively fast...

Keith Turk
D Gas Modified Sports  World record 246.555mph
C Gas Modified sports... 261mph without the record yet...
Current issue of Hot Rod.... will give you an idea what I really do out
there...