Re: front fender installation, door gaps etc.

To: <dicksonr@uwm.edu>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front fender installation, door gaps etc.
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:24:18 -0500
Hi Randy,

----- Original Message -----
From: <dicksonr@uwm.edu>
To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:43 PM
Subject: front fender installation, door gaps etc.
  I have a few basic questions.
> 1). What should a good door gap be 3/16, 1/4?

Aim for 3/16" if you can. That would be the ideal gap. Err to too wide
rather than too narrow. You don't want to be scraping paint off a too snug
gap.

> 2). What are the best methods to install the fourth bolt, or which
> specific
> tools work best?

I haven't found a particular trick or anything for that bolt, but I find
that a box ratchet wrench with the standard 15 degree offset can really help
there.

> 3). Is it best to paint the car with the fender bolts loose, then after
> paint is
> dry, slide in beading and tighten bolts?

That is the procedure I've used for many years and it's generally worked
well. Tape the ends of the beading tabs over with black electrical tape and
you won't scratch the paint. The tape can be pulled off once it's through.
I leave the beading installation until the paint has had time to harden up
for a few weeks before proceeding with the beading job.
Rich Chrysler