Re: front fender installation, door gaps etc.

To: <dicksonr@uwm.edu>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: front fender installation, door gaps etc.
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:58:56 -0500
Randy,
I can't answer the 1st two questions for you, but I can tell you that most of
the listers approach the fender bead installation as you have described. -And
word is that they have no problems with scratching or chipping due to the tabs
or bead.

When My car was paintedthe bead was installed while the car was in primer, and
left slightly high. The bead was masked off very carefully, using a plastic 3M
pinstriping tape, being careful that the masking was no where near the body
surface. Once painted and thoroughly dry, the bead was pulled down tight to
the seam and the tape pulled off. This worked great for me, but other listers
have expressed concern that if the bead or the tape are too close to the
surface of the body, that this could leave a ridge of paint along the seam.
They had also indicated that with care, my concern that the bead / tabs
scratching the paint is unfounded.

I will admit, the way I did it is more labor intensive, but I guess done
carefully, both means work.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA