Re: Great Roads

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Great Roads
From: "Alex" <alexmm@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:52:57 -0500
Thanks for your most cool message David. I'll have to look for that road next
time I'm downeast here in Maine.

As for Mount Washington, I prefer hiking it (by foot, natch), but the roads in
its vicinity are excellent. I went up there last year for the Climb To The
Clouds Centennial races and car show (http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/) and
really enjoyed tooling around in my old BT7, hearkening back to the days when
I did it in my BJ8 in the late 1960s and mid-1970s.

To get up there, I took the nice hilly and windy Route-35 from Kennebunk (on
the coast) to lake Sebago, and then North to Fryeburg (a straightaway for the
most part), and then over to Rte.-16 into the White Mountain National Forest.
The weather was superb, the views were great, and there was hardly anyone on
the road (Sunday into Monday).

Would love to hear from anyone who did the top on the old Auto Road.
Personally, I wouldn't advise taking the road to the summit for any car. It
just seems like it would be too bumpy, dusty, and stressful going up
(especially as you ascend to higher altitudes where your carbs will get a lot
less air), and torture to your brakes coming down. Just my opinion though.

Man, I can hardly wait for Spring!

Stay resonant.

Regards, Alex in Maine

      1960 BT7 3000 Mark 1 - "The Blue Mainie"
      Former owner of 1957 100-6, and 1967 3000 Mark III BJ8
      http://users.adelphia.net/~alexmm/ai2q.htm