Re: Upholstry Vinyl

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Upholstry Vinyl
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:43:45 -0800
Patton:

Couple of thoughts for you:

I installed my CB radio set up in my BT7 - the radio, plus a powered
speaker - to an aluminum plate which I cut to fit just inside the ridges on
the bottom plate of the heater box.  The radio plate is held to the bottom
of the heater using the existing 4 clips that hold the heater box together,
with quick disconnects for the wiring.

It can be quickly removed from the car for car shows, and for anti-theft
reasons when travelling.  It's unobtrusive, and does not involve any changes
to the tunnel cover, carpets, or any other part of the body, plus it's an
easy reach to the controls from either seat.

I don't see why a vintage radio, or a radio/cd player and even an extra
gauge pod couldn't be mounted in the same fashion (depending on which
gauges - from the point of view of quickly disconnecting them).  The
speakers would have to go in the footwells - in my BJ8, they are attached to
the cross-body duct, and work quite well.  You should consider that a radio
tends to be pretty useless in a Healey 6 cyl. roadster that is blasting
happily down the road - you're already listening to 'better music'.  The BJ8
is much better in that regard - less wind noise from the convertible's
winshield / vent window design, and a much quieter exhaust (if stock).

The PO of my tri-carb had fabricated a drop-in console for radio and extra
gauges, but not speakers, as I recall.  Just didn't look 'right' to me - it
is a gold level concours car, and I try to keep it looking as original as
possible.  I still have that console - I could try and find it and get you a
couple of photos if it will help you out - might take some time - I'll have
to do some serious searching!

BTW, your car looks great - an unusual 'birthday' coincidence indeed!  Just
goes to show that when the Healey stars align, life is good.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8