Re: Fuel Gauge problem

To: Chris Dimmock <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge problem
From: Paul Baker <paulbaker51@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:41:07 +0100 (BST)
Simon,

I should have said, the fuel guage had been working fine until a couple of
weeks ago when I realised that it would not read lower than just under half a
tank - and you guessed it - I ran out of fuel.  I have not changed the position
of the float in the tank.  I assume the sender unit is not reading lower than
half full but don't understand why.

Paul

Chris Dimmock <cd3000@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
Hi Paul,

I'm guessing that you decided which direction to fit the sender unit based
on the external location of the electrical contact. You can't - it has to be
based on the direction of the float.

Remove the sender unit from the tank, and rotate it 180 degrees, and refit.

The float needs to sit in the recessed section of the tank - the
semicircular 'channel' - which is lower than the rest of the bottom of the
tank - to get an accurate reading on low fuel. If the sender unit is
installed 180 degrees out, the float sits on the flat bottom of the tank,
and won't read much below half/ quarter of a tank - and then you run out of
fuel....
Best

Chris