Brake Master Cylinder Leaking

To: healeys@autox.team.net (healey list)
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking
From: scotyp@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:54:52 +0000
Hi List,

My BJ8 seems to know instinctively when the driving season starts and it
doesn't want to go! :-)

Last year about this time my brake booster was eating brake fluid after a fluid
change. That problem was solved by the original booster being rebuilt. That has
been working fine as before with no leaks anywhere in the system. Well ,a year
later I'm getting brake fluid coming from the master cylinder(hard to see other
than on the floor because the leak is from inside the pedal "box"). I can see
fluid around the boot from inside the footwell with a noticeable loss in the
reservoir. When I press on the pedal and also press the boot forward  I get the
brake fluid coming out.

I am assuming the fluid change a year ago ate quickly thru the gland seal in
the booster but took a while to affect the master cylinder seals.
Assuming I need a new master unit or rebuild the old one which one do you
recommend? Are they difficult to rebuild?
Only looks like 2 bolts and 2 brake lines to remove.

Thanks as always,

Scot
'66 BJ8