Re: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking

To: <scotyp@comcast.net>, "healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 21:11:41 -0700
Hi Scot,

You should be able to get to the MC by removing the air cleaners.  You're
right, there're just two bolts
into the firewall, and the two lines.  Use a flare nut wrench--the kind with
the slot--to undo the pipe fittings
if you have one.  Remove the rubber boot inside the cockpit and pull the MC out.

Disassemble the MC carefully, noting how everything is put together.  It's
pretty simple, the most
complicated piece being the spring loaded "inner" piston that seals the return
line to the reservoir.
There's also a wavy spring behind the seal.  BTW, when this little seal fails
you lose all pedal
immediately.

Check out the bore of the MC.  It should be mirror-smooth; look for any pitting
and stick a finger into
the bore and feel for any irregularities.  If there is any pitting or scoring
the bore will have to be sleeved
or the MC replaced.   I believe the MC in my car is aluminum, but I bought a
new one that is steel.
DO NOT attempt to hone an aluminum cylinder bore.  Also check the condition of
the threads and
the mating surface for pipe flares ... any gouges or nicks where the pipe beds
in and you probably
won't be able to get a good seal.

Rebuild kits run about $20, a re-sleeve will run $50-80 depending on who does
it and what material is used (usually brass or stainless steel).  New MCs run
$150, but occasionally
one of the Usual Suspects will put them on sale.

Re-assembly is the opposite of disassembly ... but cleanliness is essential.
Moisten all the innards
with your brake fluid of choice--or some of the lube that comes with the
rebuild kit--before assembly.

BTW, what brake fluid are you using?

bs

Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking