Re: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking

To: scotyp@comcast.net, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:00:24 -0700
Scot:

Did you change types of brake fluid before (or when) you did the booster?
That may explain the situation.  If so, you may have to consider further
hydraulic system service.

I'm pretty sure from your description that is a simple master cyl. rebuild
that is required.  I can't see how the booster repair would cause what you
are describing - you just got lucky enough to have one thing happen right
after the other got fixed.  Makes a good argument for rebuilding the whole
braking system at one time, doesn't it!

You need to remove the master cyl. from the car and examine it (or have it
examined by a pro) in order to assess whether or not it is rebuildable - ie:
the condition of the bore - and even then they can be sleeved if that's the
way you want to go.  If the car has been on the road recently, it might be
okay, and a seal kit is all that will be needed.  Replacement cylinders are
readily available from all of the usual sources if needed.  It's really a
fairly routine repair on a Healey.  It might be worthwhile doing the clutch
master and slave at the same time if it's been awhile since they've been
rebuilt.

With that big a leak at the brake master cyl, it might be a good idea not to
drive the car until you get it fixed.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb