Re: Manual Front Wheel Alignment Question

To: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>,
Subject: Re: Manual Front Wheel Alignment Question
From: "Keith Pennell" <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:52:06 -0400
John, let me suggest an alternative.

Place a piece of masking tape in the front across the tread of each tire at
axle level.  Make up a stick long enough to reach across both tires with 2
long spikes, 8-10 inches long, at approx the center points of each tire.
Drill a hole in the stick for each spike so they fit snugly when inserted.
Have one person hold one spike into the taped tread on one side and you make
a mark on the tape on the other side.

Roll the car back or forward until the tapes are at axle level on the back.
Have helper hold his spike in the same place in the tread and use your spike
to see where the pointer is now on your side.  Determine the amount of toe
from where the pointer is relative to the mark you made.  Use the center rod
to change the toe and then repeat the above until you get the desired toe.
See separate email reply about the amount.

Keith Pennell

> I have a question regarding wheel alignment specs.
>
> Today I did a manual check of my Healey's front wheel alignment in my
garage.
> The wheels/steering were pointing straight forward.  My tires tread has a
> center grove.  Here is the procedure I used.
>   1.. Using a plumb-bob hung from the tire tread center grove, I marked
points
> on the garage floor at the front and rear centers of both front tires.
The