Re: M Lempert's 3:54

To: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: M Lempert's 3:54
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:42:52 +0100
Alan

I believe that there is some confusion here and it is misleading to call
it a 100S spec item.

The 3.667:1 Crown Wheel and Pinion was standard on a version of the A90
Atlantic where a few thousand were produced.

It was also offered on early BN1s as part of the 'Le Mans' special
equipment.

This I think you will find is nothing to do with the 100S except perhaps
where owners found the standard 2.92:1 ratio too high.

And while I am at it, and just to make owners envious, I bought my first
3.667:1 crown wheel and pinion set in the BMC Cowley Scrap stores in
1962 for seven shillings and sixpence. This is about 38 UK pence or
something like half a dollar or euro.

All the best

--
John Harper