M Lempert's 3:54

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: M Lempert's 3:54
From: "David" <dcrawfor@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:14:10 -0700
Esteemed Listers,

After reading rave reviews about putting Mike's 3:54 in your cars, I
am beside myself.  What do I have to do to get his gears into my '54
BN1 which has the older spiral gears?  Change the entire pumpkin,
axels, etc.?  Any idea where I can find what I need, and by the time
I'm done what might I expect to pay?

Just for info, the tranny has an overdrive, and the lock has been
removed from 1st gear.  (I never use it unless I have to park on the
roof.)

Here's what Mike just said:

"I remember you saying you had the earlier spiral bevel gears and not
the hypoid bevel of the later BN1 and all other big Healeys.  I really
don't know if the differential housings are interchangeable without
other impact.  I suggest you ask the Healey listers that question.  I
also wonder if there are some compatible vintage gears out there from
other cars that might be acquired for less money.  The Healey guys
would probably know."

This Healey addiction - will it never end?  So I'm all ears, and thank
anyone for responding.

David C
'54 BN1
San Deigo