She's Smoking Badly

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: She's Smoking Badly
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:36:44 -0500
Hi All, It's time for me to appeal to this awesome list.  Here's the
deal...my engine (29E) has only 1100 miles since a complete rebuild.
Bored cyls out completely and sleeved to std bore.  Pistons are
long-skirt with 5 rings.  The bottom two are oil rings and one of those
is below the wrist pin.  The new pistons went in very well with no
indication of a ring hanging up.  The head was redone for new valve
seats, alloy guides, and stem seals.  I replaced a few intake and
exhaust valves but most of the originals were in great condition.  All
the machine work was done by a very good guy whose work I trust
completely.  From the beginning the engine smoked a (very) little at
startup and never quit doing so.  A few days ago, the smoking got worse.
Instead of a puff at start up, it became slowly more constant until it
looked like a bug fogger all the time.  This happened during a 120-mile
trip.  She has never overheated...even then.  She runs great, she just
smokes a LOT.  Compression on 2 thru 6 is 165-175 psi "dry" and 230-240
psi with a little oil squirted thru the plug holes.  Compression is 95
psi on No. 1 dry and about 155 with a little oil squirted in.  There is
no water apparent on the dipstick and the oil appears to look normal.
There is no water loss in the radiator.  There is, however, a gooey
black oily discharge from one of the tailpipes.  Seems kind of odd just
one of the tailpipes drips since this is a stock BT7 type exhaust.  What
to do???  I turn my own wrenches but I don't look forward to pulling the
head.  Does a broken ring (or more) come to mind??  Bad valve guide,
head gasket, or what???  Please help if you can and many thanks.
Jack