Re: Weber DGVs vs HD8s

To: "dwflagg@juno.com" <dwflagg@juno.com>, steveg@abrazosdata.com
Subject: Re: Weber DGVs vs HD8s
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Chris,

You mean we're suppose to drive these things?  Like actualy climb in behind the
wheel?  But don't your feet cook in the car?  I thought they were made to be
trailered to event only to be hand-pushed into place at the show.  Huh, driving
them, what a novel idea.

Running for cover...

Need to go figure out why my CB isn't working...

"dwflagg@juno.com" <dwflagg@juno.com> wrote:
I'm probably opening myself up for a verbal assault, but I've observed with
interest the many posts related to the "improvement" of the Healey with 5 or 6
speed all syncho trannys, stereo systems, air conditioning, CB radios, non
standard carbs, etc. I have driven just about all the Healey models made. It is
an awesome experience when taken in it's total context and understanding the
historical technology. It doesn't have power steering, air conditioning, a
stereo tape system, power convertable top, reclining seats, but then it's not a
Buick. It is a true British sports car. Man and machine, made to venture the
winding highways and byways, with the wind in your hair, the roar of exhaust in
your ears, unadulterated in its pure form. The problem, to me, seems that we
are never satisfied with what we have. I've had the pleasure of driving my
friend's '57 (Longbridge) BN4 while he is deployed serving our country. It is a
joy to drive. Smooth, responsive and strong. I have never !
thought of making it any different. MHO.

Regards,

Doug
'56 BN2

Chris,

> Two single choke DGV's are a million miles away from 3 x twin choke 45mm
> webers. And about half a million miles away from 2 x 2inch SUs.

Weber DGVs are progressive-linkage 2-barrel carbs that have been used as
conversions on Z-cars for many years. It's 4 x 34 mm. By my calculation
that's 92% of the venturi area of the 2 x 2 inch setup.

I'd suggest if they're capable of putting out the horsepower a Z-car needs
that they'd be fine on a Healey--if properly set up, which these may not be.

Having said that--since this is what's different on the car, it's
undoubtedly the problem.

I wonder if the secondaries are failing to open up.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA