Tire Aging & Replacement

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire Aging & Replacement
From: "Andy Schwarz" <aschwarz11@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:20:16 -0700
After not getting much use the past several years, I am trying to get my 63
BJ7 ready to go from the Seattle area to the Northwest Meet in Campbell River
B.C. at the end of Sept.  Even though the 165 SR 15 Michelin XZX tires look to
be in great shape, they have been on the car over 13 years.  Some sources
suggest replacement every 6 years (and definitely no longer than 10 years).
Due to aging, apparently, the tires can fail.  I hate to get rid of these
tires since they are no longer made and they have seemed to perform well.
However, I certainly do not want to suffer the consequences of tire failure at
speed.

I would really appreciate others views on this aging issue.  Also, would it
make for better handling to go to a wider tire?  If so, how wide can the 60
spoke wheels accomodate?  Any suggestions on brands?  If the 6 year figure is
valid, tires on my car are going to "age out" before they wear out. It seems
logical to buy a lower cost / mileage tire unless it drastically affects
handling.

I know that tire issues have been previously discussed on the List; however I
did not find the needed info in the Archives.

Thanks.

Andy
Renton, WA
63 BJ7