Reverse Gear Lock Up

To: "Healey Discussion List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reverse Gear Lock Up
From: "Terry Blubaugh" <tblubaugh@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:03:03 -0700
O.K.,  here is a real dilemma.

I pulled into a gas station this afternoon in Whittier, CA.  After several
minutes, the line I was in had not moved a foot, so I decided to change to a
different pump.  I put my '60 BT7 in reverse, let out the clutch, and . . . .
nothing.  No reverse.  It was as though the hand brake was applied tight, but
it was not.  I slipped the beast into first, and carefully let out the clutch.
It went forward as usual.  I tried reverse a second time, but again the Healey
heaved up, but NO movement.  Just locked tight. Finally, after four attempts,
whatever had been holding it let loose, and off I went in reverse.

How about some ideas.

BTW . . . first time in more than 30 years that I've put $28 worth of gasoline
in a Healey.

Thanks as always.

Terry Blubaugh
Southern California