Re: Reverse Gear Lock Up

To: "frogeye" <frogeye@swcp.com>, "Terry Blubaugh"
Subject: Re: Reverse Gear Lock Up
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:57:19 +1000
Terry - your overdrive switch was off - but your overdrive was still
'engaged'. The Overdrive is released by springs - sometimes they don't
release and disengage overdrive. The dash switch says you are not in
overdrive - but it still is.

If your car jams in overdrive - i.e. you can't back it up - and selecting a
forward gear and flicking the overdrive switch on and off  doesn't engage /
disengage the overdrive - then the only way to 'fix' it on the road is as
follows:

Jack the car up, take all the necessary safety precautions etc. and get
underneath with your knock off hammer. Look for the steel plate between the
alloy overdrive and the gearbox. You don't need to take a big swing - which
is fortunate as you are laying flat on your back, under the near centre of
your car - just tap the steel plate a few times.

This method works everytime. We've noticed this occur on several cars at
Wakefield Park track days over the past few years.  Usually - the cars have
been driven around the track for the day - everything is hot - and then when
they come in they won't deselect overdrive i.e. switch out of overdrive top
and nothing happens - still in overdrive top.....

Now at least you can select reverse and get home. Then as Dave etc said -
keep an eye on it and never force it in reverse....