RE: Reverse Gear Lock Up

To: "'frogeye'" <frogeye@swcp.com>,
Subject: RE: Reverse Gear Lock Up
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:09:20 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of frogeye
Sent: 31 August 2005 13:50
To: Terry Blubaugh
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

Terry,
 I'm with Dave Russell on this one.

Me too. I've done it....turned a perfectly good OD into shrapnel. (nothing
to boast about actually). Maybe it'd not the OD but it's really sound advice
to consider that it might be..........
Simon

Not infrequently will this happen to
some O/D's. The reasons are many. Some possibilities are, broken brass
thrust washers (pieces of which are in the grooves of the sliding parts),
weak or broken return springs, slow release of hydraulic pressure (gummy
deposits in oil passages), too much end thrust from worn spacing shims,
cracked brake ring, and probably a host of others.
 Hopefully it was a spurious occurrence, but if it happens again it will
have to be removed, inspected and repaired.
 By all means do not attempt to overcome the resistance by backing
up...REALLY expensive to fix or replace.
Dave
Frogeye@SWCP.com Taos Garage Annex in Albuquerque
'62 BT7 MK II,  '54 BN1,  '62 Fiat 1600S
http://www.britishcarforum.com/TaosAnnex.html