Re: Why, oh Why?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, "jerry adams" <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Why, oh Why?
From: "Dallas Congleton" <dcong996@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:22:27 -0400
Please explain further for a country boy how the loops "smooth out"
pulsations in the oil?  The system is hydraulic once it is filled with oil
and no compressibility can take place, except for air trapped in the system.
Trapped air is normally the cause for erratic needle fluctuations because of
its compressibility and requires bleeding to correct.

My understanding is the vertical loops and siphons seen on steam system
gauges and control devices are there to isolate the bellows and diaphragms
of the devices from raw steam. They condense  water  in the top half of the
"pigtail" which remains as a temperature buffer. They are not for pulsation
control. Pulsation  control requires one of several different dampening
devices.

 Steam of course is not hydraulic like oil so I don't follow the analogy.

Most horizontal loops on steam systems are for mechanical pipe expansion,
although I don't remember complete loops
.
Also many oil gauge lines are actually steel so the copper work hardening
theory wouldn't apply?

Dallas Congleton
1967 BJ8
1953 MG TD