Re: Why, oh Why?

To: <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: Why, oh Why?
From: "Chris Masucci" <sooch@houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:12:00 -0700
Ahh, but air doesn't damp anything.  In fact air is one of the most reliable
springs that there is, since it loses very little energy under compression
and returns almost 100% of that energy during expansion.  The only thing
that air in the line might do is alter the frequency of the pulses
(depending on air volume), but not the overall energy in the system.  The
pulses will still be there, but at a lower frequency and greater amplitude
in order to conserve energy.  Those pesky Physics laws are a b!tch aren't
they.  A damper, on the other hand, must convert one form of energy into
another, such as up and down motion into heat by way of fluid friction
(think shock absorber).

An accumulator is different since it not only has nitrogen (or air) to work
against, but a rubber diaphragm that has it's own spring constant and
internal friction to provide the damping.  Most accumulators are not used
for damping since that's not what they are designed for.  They are mostly
used for storing pressure that has been built up against that
pre-pressurized diaphragm...like in the brake booster system of a late 80's
or early 90's Jag or some Saab's.

It's important to not confuse a single impulse force compression, like in
those water system air chambers that prevent water hammer, to something that
has a frequency dependent impulse input like an oil pressure gauge.

Cheers,
Chris
BJ8