Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:07:05 -0500
Exactly right, Jim.
In doing mine, I knew that I could not for instance line bore the engine, and
skillfully rebuild the block, crank, etc. nor as skillfully fit the body, or
spray the car as a professional could. --The same for a lot of the interior
soft trim.
--But I also knew that THEY could not take the time I would, in finding
original correct parts, attending to the million tiny details, do the
research, and insist on no cut corners, the way I would. Nor to take the time,
and attention to do all of the tedious fiddly things right.
We generally can't all be top notch painters, platers, body men, welders,
mechanics and upholsterers. I think the best cars I've seen have come from
dedicated amateurs who know when (and who) to assign certain jobs to pros.
Dave J.