Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:17:31 -0500
Reid,
Perhaps it is even more likely that an amateur restorer, working on his own
car would take the time to refurbish original parts too time consuming for a
professional restorer, and collect NOS replacement parts and restorable
originals at swap meets, salvage yards and private parts sellers over the
course of months if not years  ---something that a professional, with a
schedule to keep cannot as easily do.  --I did that, to a considerable extent,
over the course of a 10 year restoration. --Not liking things like the
reproduction bumper overriders, seat bottoms and backs, reproduction winged
badges, reproduction control knobs, gas caps, oil caps, headlight rings, and
on and on and on.  --and I can honestly say that every square inch of sheet
metal is from the factory, having sourced good restorable replacements,
instead of reproductions and repair panels. Restoring and rechroming original
parts wherever remotely possible, rather than replacing them with "new".
The professional restorers do an absolutely beautiful job, from what I have
seen. --However, I cannot imagine the degree of faithfulness to the original
parts that I have seen from some of the truly fanatical private restorations I
have seen and heard about. Surely there could be no money to be made in the
labor intensive pursuit of reclaiming the majority of original pieces for a
car.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA