RE: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:47:27 -0500
A "Professional" is someone who gets paid for doing something.  An
"amateur" is one who does it because he loves to do it and doesn't get paid.

Is one better than the other?  It would have to be based on the results of
the individual cars involved, wouldn't it?

Having said that, wouldn't a "professional" usually have much more
experience and knowledge and proper tools, etc to maybe do it better?  And
if they have integrity they probably could do it better.

The
> "fully restored to concours gold standards" (a truly overused phrase at
the
> auctions) Healeys in these auctions looked pretty good, but had a few
little
> things to criticize. Polished dash pots for one.
>
> Anyway, it got me to thinking, what do people think of as the difference
> between a professional and an amateur restoration? No one certifies
> "professional" Healey restorers, so I lean towards saying that it is a
> distinction without a difference. Restored is restored. Whether you've
done
> it once or a hundred times, what you have at the end is a collection of
Moss
> Motors parts, new paint and new chrome, and almost nothing remaining of
that
> which left the factory.
>
> If I screw on a bunch of Moss Motors parts, it's an amateur restoration.
If