Re: Hole in Top

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hole in Top
From: "Dave Murphy" <roadwarriordave@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:49:06 -0500
Ned,
There is a franchise called "Doctor Vinyl" that I used once to repair two
holes in the top and some vinyl on the seat on my TR6. This was after I
loaned the car to a friend who tried to put the roof down incorrectly. He
paid the Doctor. The franchisee mixed up some white liquid vinyl-like
substance and applied it to the holes on the outside. Next he roled a
graining device over the repair. Then he blew some special semi-gloss black
paint over the grained repair. That was back when the car was new in 1977
and the repairs are still holding 29 years later.

The neat thing about the roof repair was that it was completely undetectable
inside (no ugly patch) and outside. Reinforcement was achieved by making the
roof very slightly thicker which was only detectible if you pinched it with
your fingers.

I noticed that there are still Doctor Vinyls in my phone book about 5 years
ago.

-Dave Murphy