Re: 100 Head

To: David Porter <frogeye@swcp.com>
Subject: Re: 100 Head
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:09:36 -0700
Hi Guys,

On other engines I have had the top of the block machined with .030"
wide by .015" deep grooves around the bores to accept .030" soft iron
wire at 1/2 depth. This provides  very good support  for the steel "fire
rings" found on multi layer gaskets such as the Fel-Pro Perma-Torque
series. The gaskets have held the very high pressures found on turbo
charged engines with nitrous oxide. This would not work on a solid
gasket with relatively little  crushability, but I've found it to be far
superior to thick copper gaskets. Copper is very weak at high
temperatures & tends to burn out or push out when exposed to high
combustion temperatures & pressures. The steel "fire rings" in the
composition gaskets are superior to gaskets with copper rings.

The same tehnique has also worked well on motorcycle engines.

Another way to help is to use cylinder liners that have the tops
projecting above the block deck surface as found in some other LBC engines.

My BN2 has an aluminum head with better internal support between
cylinders, & has given no trouble with standard multi layer copper faced
sandwich gaskets.

Milling the stock Hundred Four iron head with it's relatively thin deck
surfaces (around .200")  is a sure way to make the sealing problems worse.

Dave Russell
BN2